The network’s parent company, Comcast, said Wednesday it has agreed to acquire the streaming platform that helped build the show and bring its success to audiences around the world.
“We’re thrilled to bring Billions back for another season,” said Comcast CEO Brian Roberts.
The deal will give Comcast the streaming rights to Billions, which was broadcast on NBC from 2006 to 2012.
Billions was a hit for NBC, with audiences enjoying its gritty portrayal of a struggling inner city.
It also won a Golden Globe for best drama series in 2015.
But the show’s ratings plummeted as it was canceled after its second season.
The network has been struggling since then to find a new show to carry the network’s high-profile legacy, which includes its popular cable series.
It’s unclear if the new show will continue the tradition of introducing Billions to new audiences.
Comcast said it has retained Billions’ executive producers and will continue to develop and develop new content for the network.
The acquisition will help Comcast add a new tier of content to its service, which will include shows such as “Billions” and “Dancing With the Stars.”
Billions creator and executive producer Mark Gordon, who also is executive producer of the new “Billion” series, will continue in his role on the new series.
“Mark Gordon has been with NBC for a decade and a half,” said Roberts.
“He is a great leader, and we’re grateful to have him onboard as we build on the show that we’ve been working on for the last year and a bit.”
The news comes less than a week after Comcast and Time Warner Cable agreed to a $45 billion merger that will give the cable giants the largest internet service provider in the U.S. Comcast’s parent, Charter Communications, has already spent more than $10 billion on programming in the last few years.
The Comcast deal will be announced at a press conference later this month.